Costa del Sol is also known as Costa del Golf and there is a good reason for that. There are ca. 60 golf courses located along this sought-after stretch of coastline, of which 4 are ranked in the Top 10 in Europe: Valderrama Golf Club, San Roque Golf Club, La Reserva and Los Naranjos. These golf courses have been designed by renowned names such as Severiano Ballesteros, Robert Trent Jones, Jack Nicklaus and Dave Thomas. But let me tell you that it is not only the high quality of the golf courses themselves what attracts golfers from all around the world to this area.
The unrivalled climate Costa del Sol offers with over 320 days of sunshine a year and low rainfall makes it perfect to fully enjoy a round of golf anytime without being worry about the weather 😉 On top of that, the courses are surrounded by stunning natural landscapes which are a treat for the senses. You can even benefit from jaw-dropping views overlooking the deep-blue Mediterranean Sea. Picture yourself in this paradise-like setting playing a round of golf with the sun shining bright and the sea breeze blowing gently to soothe the heat on the hottest days. So, do not think it twice, pack your golf clubs and discover Costa del Sol. Here is a list of some of the golf courses you will find along Costa del Sol.
- Alcaidesa Golf: It offers 2 golf courses Links (designed by Peter Allis and Clive Clark, Alcaidesa’s flagship since 1992) and Heathland (designed by Dave Thomas and opened in 2007), putting green, golf lessons, buggies, clubhouse and restaurant. It is located close to San Roque, La Linea and Gibraltar. A spectacular setting boating views of the Mediterranean Sea and Gibraltar.
- Aloha Marbella Golf Course: This course designed by Javier Arana and opened in 1975 is to be found in Nueva Andalucía. It offers spectacular views of La Concha Mountain and the Mediterranean Sea. This 18–hole golf course is considered to be one of the most beautiful and outstanding ones in Spain.
- Atalaya New and Old Course: 2 magnificent 18-hole golf courses with superb views of the Sea. This course situated in Estepona is with no doubt an oasis of peacefulness dotted with trees and beautiful Mediterranean flora.
- Baviera Golf: an even course known for its wide greens. Designed by José María Cañizares, 5 European PGA Tours and 2 World Championship, this superb golf course offers a wide range of facilities and lovely views over the Mediterranean Sea.
- Cabopino Golf Marbella: located midway between Marbella and Mijas Costa, opposite Cabopino Port boasting breathtaking views of the Mediterranean Sea and the surrounding pine forest. An 18-hole golf course equipped with several facilities such as driving range, pro-shop, clubhouse, putting green, golf academy, lessons, hotel and restaurant.
- El Higueral Golf: it is a 9-hole, par-36 golf resort on the slopes of the foothills in Benahavís. Nestled in a stunning natural lanscape offering views which will leave you breathless.
- Finca Cortesín: it is one of the longest courses in Europe (almost 7,000metres!). This 18-hole course is equipped with a great array of facilities including spa, a sport club and one of the best hotels in Europe. Finca Cortesín is an eco-friendly golf course where both flora and fauna are absolutely respected.
- Flamingos Resort Estepona: a 18-hole golf course beautifully designed by Antonio García Garrido with spectacular views of the Mediterranean Sea, Gibraltar and Africa. It is home to Villa Padierna Hotel which become very famous back in 2010 when it was chosen by Michelle Obama and her youngest daughter to spend their summer holiday.
- Guadalmina Golf Marbella/ Real Golf de Guadalmina: it consists of two 18-hole golf courses and a 9-hole course. It was awarded Royal Appointment by King Juan Carlos I in 2008. The facilities include 40 bay grass driving range, locker room, cafeteria, pro shop, sauna, swimming pool, tennis courts, paddle tennis court and practice bunker.
- La Duquesa: a hilly course nestled between the mountain and the Mediterranean Sea. A beautiful blend of design and nature created by Robert Trent Jones. It features: putting green, pitching green, driving range, pro-shop, restaurant, cafe, Jacuzzi, sauna, indoor swimming pool, and tennis court.
- La Quinta Golf Marbella: a fantastic golf course right in the heart of the Golf Valley and 5 minute drive from Marbella and Puerto Banús. It is considered to be one of the best and finest golf courses on Costa del Sol. It hosts the Benahavís Senior Masters every October. It offers: 27 holes, putting greens, hotel, golf academy, bar-cafe, restaurant, spa and gym.
- La Resina Golf & Country Club: a 9-hole, par 3 and 4 golf course located in Estepona. Its lanscaped semi-tropical gardens with lakes and ancient olive trees makes it one of the most outstading courses on Costa del Sol.
- Los Arqueros Golf Marbella: a challenging par-71, 18-hole course designed by Severiano Ballesteros. This excellent golf course merges with the exceptional natural environment and offers lovely views of the sea.
- Los Naranjos Marbella: this course designed by Robert Trent Jones is one of the best golf courses in Spain. The courses set amidst orange groves was indeed voted Course of the Year in both 2005 and 2008. Los Naranjos has been the host of several mayor competitions since the opening in 1977.
- Río Real Golf: a fantastic 18-hole par 72 course spread over an undulating terrain sloping gently towards the sea. It is set in a valley with a river crossing the course. Río Real Golf is regarded as one of the best golf courses in Marbella. It is equipped with hotel, club house, bar, tennis/paddle court and driving range.
- Santa María Golf Elviria: it runs through 2 valleys and offers fantastic views of the Mediterranean Sea. It is a very popular golf course situated midway between Fuengirola and Marbella. Facilities include: restaurant, pro-shop, tennis court, bowling, golf academy (inc driving range), clubhouse and putting green.
- Torrequebrada Golf Benalmádena: a masterpiece considered to be one of the most beautiful golf courses on Costa del Sol. The course constructed in the late 70’s is located in a resort 3km inland from Benalmádena Costa.
- Valle Romano Golf Resort Estepona: it is the newest course on Costa del Sol. An 18-hole golf course inaugurated in 2010 and constructed to meet the highest quality standards used by the United States Golf Association. Designed by Cabell B. Robinson, one of the best golf course designers in the world who also created Valderrama and Santana Golf. A spectacular setting where sport, nature and peace merge. It is open 365 days of the year!